Wednesday 13 December 2017

The Signalbox, and Defying History!

After extensive planning and rummaging through my large collection of magazines, I have found the future signalbox for Kingsborough. This particular one will be built from an exclusive kit backed with Platicard from Model Rail No. 155 April 2011. I chose this as I knew it was just the right size and it will suit the scenery and the period I'm modelling in. I have photocopied it (I don't like scabby magazines!) and once I have some plasticard, I'll build it and put it in it's rightful place next to the road bridge and behind the 3 way turnout.

(Image to be attached)

As for the track plan and the baseboard, not much has happened. Lately I've been looking more into the 'history' and the 'location' of the layout in real life (I'm using 'quotations' because this is fiction after all!). After a crash course in avoiding the Beeching Cuts and constant relocation and decision making, Kingsborough branches off north of York, in the North Eastern Region of BR. Although I've been trying to avoid Beeching, I haven't been avoiding him to avoid the closure of the branch line it's on, it's more the main line, as many main lines (including Harrogate to Northallerton) were 'Cut' including many rural and industrial branch lines, which Kingsborough falls into. After some though, here's what happened:

Kingsborough continued operation after nationalisation, still with steam hauled trains. This held strong until Beeching released his report in 1965, when the line was subsequently cut. After 7 years of dereliction, the bus and coach companies couldn't maintain peak our traffic, so British Rail announced reopening the line. This involved repairing the track and introducing a new timetable. New stock was introduced too (the stock that I will operate on the layout) and more services as well.

This may sound unrealistic (maybe stupid) but I like it and it fits well into the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment